After lots of research and with the help of Ruth Petralifi (travel agent who deals with Intrepid), we’ve figured out that the trip in reverse isn’t going to work. It messes with the flight schedule and to book the flights independently is going to pile on way too much cost.
So – back to Plan A – but shifting the trip departure from 3rd August to 10th August and teaming up with Debbie first.
Also – the flight there is via Miami – so it makes sense to break that up and book a couple of nights in Miami en route! I’ve never been to Miami, and wanted to go there ever since watching Miami Vice way back in the 80s - so that will be awesome!
Another BIG decision that has to be made:
The Inca Trail vs the train….
I’m going to be honest, my first thoughts around Machu Picchu were to take the train there! The Inca Trail is something I wanted to do around 10 years ago – but now??!! I seriously doubted my fitness levels. And I thought I could maybe put off the decision between the trail and the train nearer the time.
You have to book the Inca Trail at outset because of the situation around permits etc.
After much researching, reading up, looking at photos and contemplation, I’ve decided to go for the Inca Trail – GULP! I know that if I don’t try, I will regret it! I CAN do this!
Worst case scenario, if I can’t because of altitude sickness or health at the time, I can switch to the train, but I’m going to do everything I can to get fit enough to do this – and practice hiking in as much altitude as I can over here in Spain. The Sierra Nevada range goes up to 3450 metres.
So I’m going to do this.
And take it seriously.
And write a blog about my journey – (I’ve just gone back and filled in the last few days).
I’m going to record everything – my weight loss, my walking and exercise, how I feel – the lot!
I hope that this will inspire and encourage others to chase whatever seems like an impossible dream for them.